Hi,

I expected that this question had come up many times before but I didn't find anything in the archives, so here I go.

My understanding is that OpenBSD version updates can only be done with binaries. Likewise, for additional application installation, packages i.e. binaries are favored over ports i.e. compiling from source.

Why then, otoh, does following -stable involve compiling from source?

I thought that the rationale for using binaries was security: everybody is guaranteed to use exactly the same binaries so there's no risk that for some reason, on one machine, the compile process would yield in a different result. Yet the same argument would be true for following -stable, especially as using the GENERIC kernel is the only supported configuration.

So I guess I am missing something decisive here. Can anybody shed some light on _why_ there are 2 different ways to update?

Regards,
-pu