On Jan 21, 2007, at 12:33 PM, bofh wrote:

Which I don't understand - if you're going to sell a blackboz, why not
use openbsd instead of some stinky redcrap or that piece of shit
rhell?  Centos is just an enabler, tyvm.

On 1/21/07, Henning Brauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
* Tautvydas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-01-21 20:33]:
> What I know now - barracuda is a blackbox. I've read that there is
> "simple web interface". IMHO, it sounds not very good at all.

the barracuda boxes are rusty stinky old redhat with spamassassin and
some web interface.

at least, they used to be about a year or two ago

--
Henning Brauer, [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de

Because driver support for Linux is a lot better than for OpenBSD, and a lot of the Anti-Virus vendors supply Linux binaries, but no BSD binaries. Also, developers for Linux are cheaper (and more plentiful) than developers for BSD.

The company I worked for considered switching our appliance OS to a *BSD from Linux, but in the end we decided that commercial support was too important to ignore.

If you were building a firewall/proxy type of appliance, OpenBSD would probably be fine (actually preferable, since Netfilter/iptables is crap). If you're building something that needs to use a lot of third-party commercial software in addition to your own code, sadly Linux is currently a better choice. I personally cannot stand Linux, but even I consider Linux a safer choice for an embedded OS right now (safer as in: you won't have to struggle for weeks to get your software to even run on it).

Brian Keefer
www.Tumbleweed.com
"The Experts in Secure Internet Communication"