On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:34:13PM -0500, stan wrote:
> > Well, It Works For Me [TM]. Actually, our office network is divided into
> > several subnets, and the Windows fileserver is on another subnet in a remote
> > data centre, several IP hops away, and it all still works.
> >
> > Locating a machine by name ("Network Neighbourhood") requires either a WINS
> > server or dynamic DNS, but you've realised that. Mount by IP address should
> > just work.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by dynamic DNS in this context?

Ah, for that you would need a Windows expert, and that's not me :-)

However my rough understanding is that Windows clients make dynamic DNS
updates to their 'local' DNS server (that is, Microsoft are assuming that
your DNS cache is also authoritative for your own domain - which is probably
true if you use Windows domain controllers which are also configured to be
DNS servers)

Machines register their hostname in this way, so that when you do a lookup
on another machine for //foo/subdir then 'foo' can be resolved via DNS.

I don't know how this gives you the 'Network neighborhood' browsing
capability.

Regards,

Brian.