Thanks for the input everyone,

I've been considering my alternatives and I guess I'll just buck up and
learn to use ports.  (And a few other things...)

I looked over dspam, and while they have a really impressive web-site
and their goals seem very laudable, and even in-line with the system I'd
originally envisioned, I don't think I'm ready for a full solution yet.

Instead, I'm going to follow Mr. Roberts' advice and try out a base
system with spamd and greylisting.  In the mean time, while such a
system is keeping my few users afloat, I'll see if I can come up with
something more tailored to our situation.

Again, thanks for all the wonderful insight and advice from all
responders.  I'm glad you guys are here to turn to when I get really
stuck on something.

-Bob