Hi,

On Tue, 23.01.2007 at 21:45:14 +0100, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 05:44:38PM +0100, Almir Karic wrote:
> > what i would like to achieve is that on a shared host if bad guys (tm)
> > break into one site they can't get to other sites.
> >
> > is this possible? i've been looking at su-exec but it is for cgi
> > scripts only :/, what other options there are?
> >
> > AFAIK chroot is not the correct answer to my question as it protects
> > the rest of the system from being exploited if one of the sites gets
> > cracked but it can't protect one site from another...
>
> The simple solution is to not allow the web server to write anywhere but
> /tmp.

imho this is not really effective.

You may also want to prevent one site from reading the other's site
passwords for their databases etc. and then going after their "backend
data", so to say, or to steal passwords for logging in via their front
page, eg into an "admin area".

To me, this currently comes down to using unique user and group ids for
individual web site instances, and then chroot each server into their
respective tree where the requirement for reading other people's data
is to break out of the chroot first.

But thanks for the pointer to sysjail, I'll surely be looking at it
RSN. :-)

Best,
--Toni++