On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 12:00:13PM +0100, Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to adjust the default limits for an account via login.conf(5)
> and adding the appropriate class entry to the affected account in the
> password file. Specifically, I want this to configure the resource
> limits for a MySQL server. Will this work?
>
> The man page mumbles something about "login and some other programs"
> which will make use of the class entry, but I was unable to figure out
> which programs exactly will obey or ignore these class entries. I could
> also manually place a number of 'ulimit' statements in the start script
> but would prefer to do it with login.conf.

Starting something from rc.local or from a script you can use su(1)'s
"-c" to specify the login class. For instance...

# su -c mysql root -c '/usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe>/dev/null'

You will still want to tweak up a my.cnf to use the new limits.

--
Darrin Chandler                   |  Phoenix BSD Users Group
[EMAIL PROTECTED]          |  http://bsd.phoenix.az.us/