Aleksandar Milosevic wrote:
J. Alfred Prufrock wrote:
Also, I just noticed in my cable-modem box's configuration page that
the WAN gateway is 24.145.134.65, which reverse dns shows to be
user-0c931i1.cable.mindspring.com.

Isn't it odd that my gateway is another user rather than the ISP?

Should I be worried about all this?

Yes, you should. Is it staticly configured or obtained from ISP's dhcp

I called my ISP, and this is apparently one of their servers. I don't know why it's called user-whatever. So all is well on that front.

Regarding the original issue ("arptables: unable to enter address"): I unhooked the ISP's (misconfigured) Motorola modem and hooked up my own cable-modem, and haven't had any problems. No more arptables errors.

Thanks for all your help, guys.