I don't know for sure how you did it. But I been working with
Asterisk+Zaptel+Libpri here in UK
both for personnal and commercial VOIP applications. My success so far on the
BSDs is with FreeBSD
and never had any single damn problem. I have and reviewed the specs of digium
over and over again
that zaptel is the device driver for the NIC card that talks to the kernel. If
you claimed that
you made OpenBSD run asterisk, then that is something worthwhile to talk about.
But as I could
see, your setup is making your machine connecting to some other machine
elsewhere. Well, in my
opinion it would be nice if one could put zaptel+libpri+asterisk under one box
just as a typical
pabx.

FYI, I do not used softphones and I prefer hardphones.