On 2007/02/17 23:41, Falk Brockerhoff wrote:
> I will play with localpref later, but before I want to ask if my planned
> setup is the right solution for my needs. I want to run two bgp-routers
> and connect several eBGP sessions to the two routers.
> To the inside I want to provide a failover-tolerant default gateway for
> my vlans, that's why I'm using carp.

If you run PF on the same routers as well, take care with stateful rules,
stateless is the easy way, or arrange so that the CARP master is a better
route (maybe prepend on the backup). you are unlikely to get states sync'd
quickly enough to avoid problems if you have things too asymmetric.

> want to do this for the "internal" networks, too.

I would normally use OSPF for this, using iBGP to carry internal routes
is possible but I think mostly something done on larger networks.

ospfd has a nice feature; when you use "interface carpXX { passive }",
the network is only announced via OSPF when CARP is master. This works
really well.