Daniel Ouellet wrote:
Toni Mueller wrote:
I don't want to generally deny, or slow down, IE users of the site (I
can't), but only want to deny them range requests. I didn't find a knob
in Apache to do this. If anyone else does, I'm still interested.

May be I am thick here, I still don't understand what you are after here. You can block access with:

        Order Allow,Deny
        Allow from all
        Deny from w.x.y.z/xx

And with something like:
BrowserMatchNoCase "\MSIE 5.5" browser=MSIE_5.5
and SetEnvIf, you can do clever things.

I didn't put a lots of thoughts in the last piece here as I use that for blocking some specific traffic and the like, but I don't see why it woudln't be possible.

Then I use something like:

RewriteRule     <Your rule here>  http://%{REMOTE_ADDR}/  [L,E=nolog:1]

But that needs to be specific for each setup you want to use.

I would need to spend time thinking about it, but I would think it's possible to do. Not easy, but possible. Some reading is needed.

Todays post on Undeadly about the Layer-7 SSL load balancer almost looked as if it could do just this, at least if you could identify win-machines with the OS fingerprinting, and send all IE (hence all winders users) to a relay that would change so that the server doesn't announce range capabilities.

Perhaps a long-winded way of "solving" this, if there is no other simple knob in apache to turn ranges off.