On 2007/02/25 20:05, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
> But I was wondering however if it wouldn't be possible to use the 72xx
> routers as dumb media converter?

I don't think you can do this exactly, but you can run OSPF on them,
let OpenBSD handle the main BGP sessions, and feed back a small BGP
table to the cisco containing just the prefixes that it needs to know
how to route. Something like this...

physical: peer -> cisco -> openbgp
e-bgp:    peer <---------> openbgp  (n.b. multihop for ebgp sessions)
ibgp:             cisco <- openbgp

basically, cisco must know routes for any packets that will be fed
to it.

in some cases (e.g. one transit feed going into cisco) you may be
able to get away with just a static default route to the transit
on the cisco and OSPF or static routes back to your network.

Same with layer3 switches if you need more PPS than you can handle
on a PC and can live with limitations of the switches (e.g. restricted
table sizes and buffers).

I have ports for dynamips and dynagen if you need to play with cisco
configs and don't have spare ciscos: http://spacehopper.org/openbsd/