ah this did it.  I'm not sure why it was all messed up.  As far as I
recall I didn't mess with /dev  hrmmmm

ah well MAKEDEV all fixed it.  Everything is ok now.

On 2/26/07, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2007/02/26 13:39, Bryan Irvine wrote:
> sh: No controlling tty (open /dev/tty: Permission denied)
> sh: cannot create /dev/null: Permission denied

this all points to permissions on /dev being wrong.

(cd /dev;sh MAKEDEV all), I would untar the relevant OS distribution
*.tgz over the top as well (with the p flag) to fix up any other files
that may have been broken.