Well, after much testing I've found that the problem is the pcn(4) network
driver.
As I told you in the dmesg I was using VMware, specifically the ESX.

I found that when I used heavily the network (such as a long "ls" from the
shell), the output just freezes even with a listing of 1000 directories.

# cd /mnt/remote
# ls

freezes after a while

# cd /mnt/remote
# ls | wc

works in every case, no matter how much directories I have in the remote.

So it seems that this driver "just works" but is not usable with heavy
network traffic.

I set up a physical machine, identical to the virtual but with the fxp(4)
driver and everything works ok, even the "ls" of 20.000 directories.

I found some other posts here recommending to use the le(4) driver or the
vic(4) driver in the virtual machines, but I'm not sure of the troughput I
will get with those drivers in case they work ok (I see posts doubting it).

So the decision is switch to a physical machine and experiment sometime
later with a virtual machine in the ESX server.

Thanks to all of you for your aid in debugging.

-Joaquin Herrero