On Thursday 22 February 2007 15:41, Joachim Schipper wrote:

> That's true. Then again, I've never had any problems with my home-hacked
> solution that just cats a couple of /etc/master.passwd.something files
> together, and then runs the appropriate 'compilation' commands.
>
> You do have to know how to avoid possibly very nasty password database
> corruption, though (i.e. don't try to run two in parallel, there's a
> reason vipw exists and is so very careful).

If possible, I would like to know more about this home-hacked solution.It
sounds very interesting. Previously, before going with Kerberos and OpenLDAP,
I had tried to copy master.passwd files across from one system to another and
had difficulties (basically, was not able to login). So I am wondering what
are the appropriate 'compilation' commands? Is it just pwd_mkdb or are there
other things that have to be run? Also, when passwords are changed on one
host, does your approach allow the changes to be sync'ed to the other?

Thanks very much,

Vijay

--
Vijay Sankar