On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:30:52PM +0000, Karl O. Pinc wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I've applied patch 009_timezone.patch to update
| the tzfiles for the US DST change.  (OpenBSD 4.0)
|
| Are the libraries clever enough to know that
| the files changed or do processes need to
| be restarted.
|
| It's simple enough to reboot
| the entire box but I'm curious,
| and it's aesthetically pleasing if
| I don't need to bring anything down.
|
| Thanks.

Although I agree with the general consensus regarding system uptime I
think the question deserves an answer (since I also think that
rebooting just because you already have a large penis and you dont
want to have a long uptime is totally rediculous). This isn't windows,
moving your mouse does not mean you need to reboot for the changes to
take effect.

To the best of my knowledge, the answer is yes, all processes need to
be restarted. Especially interesting ones like cron(8) etc. This
doesn't require a reboot per se but that is the easiest way (in terms
of number of commands to type) to guarantee it.

So, if you're on a firewall that you didn't carp/pfsync yet for some
(perhaps very valid) reason and you'd prefer not to reboot, simply
find the important processes (again, cron is the one that comes to
mind .. syslog might also be worth it), restart them and be done with
it. PF itself isn't walltime aware, so for firewalling purposes just
'keep it up' (pun intended).

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/