The fix was just to remove PAE support from the i386 kernel (until the
bug is found).  So, try copying the latest snapshot kernel to /bsd and
reboot.  Just grab it from the snapshots/i386 directory on the ftp server.

Some system utilities were converted to interact with the kernel using
sysctl, instead of trying to dig directly into kmem.  So, this is a more
reliable method than it was in the past (2.x, early 3.x) where it would
totally break if the kernel didn't use whatever memory structures that
the utility expected.

If the 4.1 kernel solves your problem (it probably will) then you should wait
for a 4.1 cd and do a proper upgrade when you have the time and have gone
over the documentation.  Better yet, after you've decided how you want to
handle the upgrade, try doing it on another machine first, unless this one is
experimental.