Please correct me if I am wrong... but I thought that if the same
source and make file etc. was used, the kernel that was used to build
it is irrelevant, i.e. the same version of gcc running or newer and
older version of kernel should ultimately 'spit out' the same binary,
given the same source, makefile, etc.?? No?

BTW, `make build` has been completed, on the new kernel, new userland,
without errors.