Once again the list is brilliant when I am dull...  DNS looks like it
was indeed the culprit.  I didn't seem to have this problem with my
OpenBSD 3.6 ftp server.  Does anyone know off the top of their head
if there has been a change?  I'll have to find out if I set up the
origonal server to be able to do reverse lookups and just don't remember
now.