I'm trying to setup a Soekris that I can hand to someone and have it work just like a Linksys might.

My one snag is grabbing a DHCP address from a server that may always not be there. For instance if they plug the device in, but then don't plug in the network cable until several minutes later. The dhclient process just goes away without the link.

The only solution I see right now is making a script that watches for a dhclient process, and then manually starts it whenever it goes away. This doesn't seem that "elegant" in my mind.

I'm sure people have setup these boxes like this before, what was done to reliably grab a DHCP lease?

Thanks,
Chris