* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070316 03:58]:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 15/03/2007 19:26:48:
>
> > * [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > > Trying to dump a filesystem with nodump flags on some folders results
> in
> > > these folders been dumped anyway, even on higher level dump and even
> if I
> > > specify -h flag to dump.
>
> > Your correct, the nodump flag on directories has no affect on the files
> > within that directory.  Both Free and Net have patched their respective
> > versions to change that behaviour.
>
> I didn't know the history of dump, thank you for the explanation.
>
> > I'm working on a patch.  The hold up is digging through restore to make
> > sure I do this correctly.  No point in frogging up dumpinomap,
> > dumpdirmap, and usedinomap if restore doesn't do what you expect.
>
> Why should this interfere with restore? I was thinking of re-reading the

What do you think is written to the dump device (file, tape, or
otherwise)?  The maps make an appearance with the dumped data.  Restore
reads those maps back in for it's use.  If I screw up the dump, your
screwed on restore.  Kind of defeats the purpose of doing the dump in
the first place.  ;)

> source and find a way to do that, but in a way similar to what "chflags -R
> nodump ..." would achive, skipping the entire directory.
>
> Maybe I know too little of the process, though.
>
> D.

Jim