On 3/23/07, Jeff Rollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 22/03/07, Greg Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/22/07, Jeff Rollin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > No, they don't need to provide choice. At least not that many. They decide
> > > to do so.  That's most of what's wrong with OS stuff these days. Too
> > > many choices.  Too many knobs. Every day, I see people shoot themselves in
> > > the foot, not managing to administer boxes and networks in a simple way,
> > > making stupid decisions that don't serve any purpose.
> > >
> > > ACL, enforced security policies, reverse proxy setups, user accounts,
> > > network user groups, PAM, openldap, reiserfs, ext3fs, ext2fs...
> > > so many choices. So many wrong choices.
> >
> > Multiple user accounts and a journalling facility on a filesystem ==
> > wrong: Interesting perspective.
> >

> > > At some point, the people who package the software need to make editorial
> > > decisions. Remove knobs. Provide people with stuff that just works.
> > > Remove options. Or definitely give them the means to do the trade-off
> > > correctly.
> > >
> > > Okay, it's a losing battle. I'm an old grumpy fart.
> > >
> > > Okay, a lot of IT people are just earning their wages by managing the
> > > incredibly too complex setups we face nowadays (and not screwing too badly
> > > in front of a multitude of stupide innane choices).
> > >
> > > Linux is the `culture of choice'. Provide ten MTA, ten MUA. Twenty window
> > > managers. Never decide which one you want to install, never give you a
> > > default installation that just works. Cater to the techy, nerdy culture
> > > of people who want to spend *days* just making choices.
> >
> > Wrong. Unix is the "culture of choice", and that includes Linux and
> > OpenBSD.
>
> How many MTAs, MUAs, http servers, text editors, DNS servers, FTP
> servers, etc. are included with OpenBSD?

Never counted 'em, but that's not the point.

Well, that was Marc's point.  I choose OpenBSD because there isn't
alot of extra crap.

The point is that OpenBSD
is a Unix-like operating system, and that therefore if you don't like
the way OpenBSD does things you can move relatively easily to NetBSD,
FreeBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Solaris, AIX, Linux... any  or all of which
may, and any and all of which are free to, include more or less
choices in MTAs, MUAs and the rest than OpenBSD.

Whether I can choose other OSes is completely irrelevant to the above
point.  The point was why I choose OpenBSD over the others.

Greg