On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, viq wrote:

> I have a rather old x86 box, running a 600 MHz Duron. It does have
> problems keeping the clock in sync, so one of the first things I ran
> on it was OpenNTPd, and it was sometimes spamming the logs with the
> sync messages, but keeping the time beautifully. That is, untill
> yesterday, when I updated from 7th Match snapshots to 22nd March
> snapshots. Right now the clock difference increases few seconds every
> hour, which is less than what it would be if left alone, but
> apparently more than ntpd can deal with. So... How can I deal with
> that? What more info is needed to help diagnose this?

In snaps i386 moved to a new timekeeping mechanism called
timecounters. The range of clock error adjustment timecounters can do
is somewhat more limited than the old mechanism. It's on my list to
look into that.

Btw, with sysctl kern.timecounter you can look if there are
alternative time sources on your system. Choose another by setting
kern.timecounter.hardware if there is more than one available (apart
from dummy).

        -Otto