My question is.  I have OBSD 4.0 running on an Asus p3b-F with 6 pci
slots that i'm wanting to use as a router/firewall.  I have 5 fxp
interfaces in the machine inserted starting from the bottom pci slot
up.

I have a very similar setup here at home - however I deliberately used
a different make/model of card for the external interface than the
internal interfaces so that I could  distinguish them:

external: xl0
internal: rl0, rl1, rl2
wireless: ral0

PCI cards are detected in the order they appear in the bus, which has
absolutely no relationship to their physical positions.

-- ach