On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, David Given wrote:

> Is there anyone working on porting OpenBSD to Intel Apple hardware? Such as
> the Macbook?
>
> I can't imagine it would be particularly hard; there'd need to be a way of
> detection.

Work on your imagination and don't jump to conclusions.

Apple managed to make i386 hardware that is slightly different than
other PC hardware and with it own set of quircks/bugs. Some progress
has been made, but depending on the model and processor (e.g. Core Duo
vs Core Duo 2) the Apple Intels either works mostly or don't work
(yet).

> The reason why I ask is that I've been eyeing the new Apple TV with a certain
> amount of interest. For only 150 UKP, you get a rather nice little box with
> very low power requirements and some decent hardware, which would be ideal as
> a home server. And I know the hardware is very similar to the Macbook. And,
> of
> course, the best server software is OpenBSD.

Similar hardware is not enough to know. The devil is in the details.
Sending an Apple TV to an interested developer might speed things up.

        -Otto