On 4/4/07, Walter Goulet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/4/07, Peter Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Quoting from http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade41.html
>
> Upgrading is a convenient way to bring your OpenBSD system up to
> the most recent version. However, the results are not intended to
> precisely match the results of a wipe-and-reload installation.
> Old library files in particular are not removed in the upgrade process,
> as they may be required by older applications that may or may not be
> upgraded at this time. If you REALLY wish to get rid of all these old
> files, you are probably better off reinstalling from scratch.

I guess I have to ask again, what is the *problem* you are trying to
solve? Why is having older library files around that are needed for
compatibility with older applications (as mentioned in the FAQ), a
problem? You stated at the beginning of your procedure that disk space
is cheap these days, so the problem cannot be the disk space occupied
by the older libraries.

I'm just worried that some newbie is going to see your procedure and
attempt to run in (inevitably mucking something up in the process) and
run back to the list complaining about a broken upgrade.

Suggest this privately to the maintainer of the upgrade FAQ and get
their inputs first.

Walter

Forwarding to misc