On 4/7/07, Merp.com Volunteer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I used the directions from eclectica here:
http://www.eclectica.ca/howto/openbsd-software-raid-howto.php

To be blunt: you are using old (3.7) instructions that are not from
the OpenBSD project, that involve compiling your own kernel (see the
FAQ on that [1]), that you do not fully follow either. Why do you
expect help on misc@ (instead of contacting the author of your
instructions)?

My partitioning scheme is a little different, and maybe that's part
of the problem.

I'm trying to have it setup as:
/raid0a =>      /boot
/raid0d =>      /

Why do you want a separate /boot? If the answer to that question is:
"It works that way on my Linux system" alarm bells should go off,
prompting you to read the documentation. If I misinterpreted things
here, please say so.

The 'a' partition is for your root. Using it for /boot (which is a
single file on OpenBSD, not a directory) is bound to get you strange
results. The raidctl(8) manual, for instance, is quite clear on that
(see the -A root option).

Your easiest option would be to acquire a decent RAID card (the
ami(4), mfi(4) or mpi(4) cards come to mind) and perform a regular
install. Granted, doing so costs money and I do not know your budget.
Given your sender address, the choice probably depends on the scarcer
of the two: volunteers or money. If others will need to maintain the
system after you're involved, spending money to save them time later
may be well worth it.

If you want to continue on RAIDframe (which is a fine product, but
requires more skills from you), I suggest you rethink your partition
scheme and make raid0a the root partition. In fact, I would recommend
starting from scratch and with the documentation to figure out a
proper procedure. You're likely to come out with a better
understanding of the system.

Please document your entire setup (and recovery) procedure for
posterity and fellow volunteers to come. They *will* need it at some
point in time. If you are not planning to do documentation, better
rethink the whole effort.

Cheers,

Rogier