On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 04:34:40PM -0400, bofh wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > (On another note, ftps - ftp over SSL - does have an ASCII mode. It's
> > also incompatible with pretty much anything and best replaced by
> > something vaguely modern - say, sftp.)

> What's the problem with ftp/ssl?  Beyond the fact that it uses the FTP
> protocol, that is (modern firewalls should be able to handle ftp by now, so
> that shouldn't be an issue).

Modern firewalls do handle FTP pretty well, *if* they can take a look at
the control stream. However, encrypting the control stream is critical,
as most of the point of ftps is to make sure you don't send passwords in
cleartext.

And that's even avoiding compatibility issues; it's not easy to find
both an FTP server and an FTP client that will encrypt both command and
data stream (quite a few cannot encrypt the data stream; I saw that as
essential for the application I used ftps for, a couple of years ago).

                Joachim

--
TFMotD: maxtmp (4) - Maxim MAX6642/MAX6690 temperature sensor