Hi,

> On Monday 16 April 2007 12:06, Maurice Janssen wrote:
>> >
>> >Thank you for the followup. I guess I will just try and see what
>> >happens. I should dig out my PC164 whatever box and see if it
>> >exhibits the issue.
>>
>> FWIW: the bug seems to occur at my 3000/300X, but only during heavy
>> load like 'make build'.  I never finished such a build, but I only
>> tried a few times.
>>
>> Maurice
>
> I just thought of something which might be worth a try on systems that
> show the bug during system builds; use nice(1) to lower the build
> priority. It's a long shot, and I haven't tried it, but it *might* be a
> useful work around. Then again, it might be a waste of time.

oh mann, crap it. I have 2 3000-300LX and one 3000-300X. I had the LXs
crashing on me, the X never crashed. swapped the CPU-Boards and I had
the other machine crashing. okay, so the 300X modules crash, just mine
doesn't or takes a _long_ time to do so. let's see what the upcoming
patch does. do you also get funny LLSC memory error messages when you
run the builtin tests ? I had the impression the stuff was related but
couldn't find one with intimate enough knowledge of the hardware to
dig it and the cpu-manuals one can download are rather useless in this
context. apart from the fact that those errors should not show up in
a single cpu-system. you have to run the test a few times to get them,
they only show up sometimes.

kind of explains why it's rare in DS20s, with multiple CPUs LLSC error
make the machine useless on single CPUs they shouldn't be there but
don't kill it since there is only one cache.

however, right now they are all off. as soon as something to test comes
up I will power them up again and test.

-sm