On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 09:03:54AM -0500, Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:
> from my observations redundancy is the biggest problem with NFS
> and that its ability to efficiently serve up data is more than
> ample.

Redundancy is certainly a problem, but lots of US HPC and
distributed computing sites have severe scaling problems with NFS.
High r/w traffic has killed several file servers in projects that we
work with, and it sucks big time. I don't know anyone who's happy or
excited or confident in their HPC NFS deployments; everyone I've
talked to hopes for a real solution to this problem. ;)

If the OP's use case involves lots of writes (especially from many
clients), I'd be concerned about NFS' ability to keep up. Then
again, I've had problems with pretty much all of the network
filesystems (including AFS, though it's the least bad in my
experience).

I'm still waiting for Ceph[0] to mature (and to shed its linuxisms).
;)

[0] http://ceph.sf.net/

--

| web:.......http://www.lfod.us/ | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |