Eugene Hercun wrote:
>  I'm having a bit of a hard time trying to set up a root on software
>  raid with raidctl with two external usb hard drives. The reason why I
>  am trying to configure this as root on raid is because I have a fast
>  notebook that is continually frying hard drives (I personally think
>  that it has a blown capacitor, but this is not the point) that I do
>  not want to go to waste. So basically what I wanted to do is to
>  configure it as a small vpn and file server to store my personal
>  photos, music, etc. and learn a little more about OpenBSD along the
>  way.

Well, you sure tore of a chunk a 'chew.  You're learning now, right?
Seriously, you're in the land of "it's your own problem".  Custom
kernels, etc, etc.

>  The problems that I am experiencing are appearing when I try to boot
>  off of the the second disk by issuing the following command at boot:
>  boot> boot sd1a:/bsd
>
>  In which case I get the following response:
>  booting sd1a:/bsd; open sd1a:/bsd: Invalid argument
>  failed(22). will try /obsd
>
>  I have also tried issuing "boot hd1a:/bsd" which gives me the same
>  result. What is strange is that at the boot prompt, it only sees hd0+,
>  and not the other disk.

Welcome to the land of the PC.  There are times the BIOS will not see
or report on any other disk, but the one you booted off of.  Sorry, you
loose.

>  I have also tried leaving only the disk with the install copied over
>  plugged in, in which case, OpenBSD starts booting, but then panics
>  since it does not find /dev/console and init.
>  Trace gives me:
>  Debugger(d076e864,8,e8900f1c,cf7ffff1,0) at Debugger+0x4
>  panic(d06b2948,e8900f64,e8900f44,0,0) at panic+0x63
>  start_init(d764a000) at start_init+0x16d
>  Bad frame pointer: 0xd0907ed8

No /dev/console and no init usually points to pilot error.

>  I've issued the following commands when I copied over the install:
>  mount /dev/raid0a /mnt
>  cd /mnt
>  mkdir usr tmp home var
>  mount /dev/raid0d /mnt/tmp
>  mount /dev/raid0e /mnt/var
>  mount /dev/raid0g /mnt/usr
>  mount /dev/raid0h /mnt/home
>  cd /mnt
>  tar -Xcpf - / | tar -xvpf -

This only copies root.  And it's a bad copy at that...  hint, read the
tar(1) manpage, in particular the '-X' option section.

Also, what makes you think that '/boot' can actually boot things off a
raid partition?  Depending on things, you may or may not be able to boot
a kernel off such a device.  Which is entirely separate from having said
device be a root partition in the end.

>  I've included below, copies of disklabel information, and my dmesg.
>  Thank you in advance for everyone's help.
>
>  device: /dev/sd1a
>  type: SCSI
>  disk: SCSI disk
>  label: MHV2080AH
>  bytes/sector: 512
>  sectors/track: 32
>  tracks/cylinder: 64
>  sectors/cylinder: 2048
>  cylinders: 76319
>  total bytes: 76319.1M
>  free bytes: 0.1M

What the hell is this crap?  Did you use '-p m' on this?  It makes the
output somewhat useless...

>  16 partitions:
>  #             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
>    a:        512.0M          0.0M  4.2BSD   2048 16384  323 # Cyl     0*-
> 511
>    c:      76319.1M          0.0M  unused      0     0      # Cyl     0 -
> 76319*
>    d:      75807.0M        512.0M    RAID                   # Cyl   512 -
> 76318

Yup, I have no idea of the first partition starts too early or not.

>  16 partitions:
>  #             size        offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
>    a:        300.0M          0.0M  4.2BSD   2048 16384  323 # Cyl     0 -
> 599

Again...

>  OpenBSD 4.0 (GENERIC.RAID) #0: Sun Apr 22 09:50:48 PDT 2007
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC.RAID

And here we stop... as we don't have your GENERIC.RAID, and to be
blunt, I certainly don't have the time to try and re-create your
unique setup.

Also, let's think about this for a while.  No, go back and think.  You
wanted to learn about a new environment.  That's a comendable goal in
itself.  But think about it again.  What did you do wrong?  Seriously.
You expected to learn about a new environment on buggy hardware in a
completely non-standard setup.  Well, learn you will, a *very* steep
learning curve.  If you like pain, I recommend you keep going on the
path you are on.  Personally I salute you, it is the way that I wish
more people would try to learn.

However, if you want things easier.  Find a stable box.  No, "just a
capacitor" is *not* a stable hardware platform.  What makes you think
that there is *NOTHING* else wrong with it?  The argument of "I don't
have one" does not hold up.  Most places on this planet you can find
an older computer to do the job.  Then use a standard GENERIC setup for
your first go around.  Much less pain, much less steep learning curve.

Good luck,

--
 [100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax