chayashida wrote:

> I am trying to install OpenBSD 4.0 on a Dell OptiPlex 745. The computer
> has a SATA CD-ROM and a SATA hard drive.
>
> After the install/upgrade/shell part, I see a lot of kernel messages.
> Everything looks normal, and it looks like all of my hardware is detected.
> The install appears to go okay, but then it hangs after the file sets are
> copied. It doesn't matter if I select all, some, or the minimal file sets:
> the installation always hangs after the copy is finished. I tried a
> separate set of CDs, just to see if that was the issue, but I get the same
> result. I also tried reducing the size of the root partition to see if
> that was an issue.
>
> Another member suggested that I try Ctrl-Z after the hang. If it stops the
> job, then the installation program has hung. I tried it. ^Z displays on
> the screen, but I do not get a shell. Apparently this means that the
> kernel has hung.

The OptiPlex 745 has the following hardware:

SATA CD-ROM
SATA hard drive
3.4 GHz Pentium D
Broadcom BCM5754 network card
Intel 82801H

All of the above are listed as supported under OpenBSD 4.0. I noticed
that there were kernel errors when I tried to set up the network to
use DHCP with the on-board NIC, so I installed a new NIC.

I disabled the on-board NIC and installed an Encore Electronics
ENL832-TX-ICNT 10/100 Ethernet PCI card. I had also disabled the
on-board audio as well. I ran the install, but this time chose to
install over ftp instead of from the CD-ROM. It worked. (Previously, I
had tried from another disc, so I was able to rule out the CD.) The
only other difference was that the files on the CD were in the root of
the disc, instead of 4.0/i386. I made another CD with the files in the
correct directory and tried to install, and I still had problems. I
also tested that CD by copying all the files off the CD without
errors.

I ran the install again, this time with the same configuration, but
from the CD-ROM. It failed again. My best guess is that the accessing
the SATA CD-ROM and the SATA hard drive at the same time is somehow
hanging the system.

I am installing a second system overnight (we have a slow Internet
connection) but I expect it to work.

I hope this helps someone else.

Chris