I realize that this is of marginal relevance to this mailing
list, but I like you guys, so I wanted to ask here first:

As soon as I got my 4.1 CDs (great theme, by the way), I popped
them into my old Inspiron 8200 and started the install. For
kicks, I decided to recompile XF4 with FreeType's BCI hinting
(by uncommenting the line

#define  TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

in xc/lib/font/FreeType/module/ftoption.h). I then enabled
hinting and sub-pixel anti-aliasing with the following X
resource settings:

Xft.hinting: true
Xft.hintstyle: hintfull
Xft.antialias: rgba
Xft.rgba: rgb

These settings make 90% of my fonts look amazing. However, in
certain fonts -- especially Georgia and Bitstream Vera Serif --
glyphs' diagonal lines now appear "blotchy". Here's an example
of Georgia at 14pt in Firefox:

http://markshroyer.com/files/georgia-hinted.png

On the other hand, if I set "Xft.hinting: false" (reverting
FreeType to its patent-unencumbered auto-hinting mode, if I am
not mistaken), everything returns to normal: except that my
Webcore fonts are no longer as crisp as genuine pixel-aligned
TrueType hinting would allow for, of course.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who's recompiled XF4 for
TrueType hinting, so any (ahem) hints? Thanks in advance...

Mark

--
Mark Shroyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://markshroyer.com/