On 4/27/07, Niall O'Higgins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 12:07:04AM -0700, patrick keshishian wrote:

> I downloaded the latest firmware from TRENDnet's download page [1]
> and placed, what I believe to be the firmware file (ar5523.bin)
> in /etc/firmware/uath-ar5523.

You are making this much harder for yourself than it needs be.  As the
uath(4) manual page says, you can just

Yes. I have read the uath(4) man page prior to attempting to use
the adaptor.  After looking at the mentioned package I noticed there
was a newer firmware on the vendor's web-site and hence decided
to use it instead [1].

After trying the newer firmware I noticed the TIMEOUT problem
during firmware loading process.  Next I decided to try the firmware
shipped with the adaptor on the original CD. That's when I
observed the freezing of OpenBSD-current.  The only reason I
decided to post to the list.

Personally, I find it a slight bit disturbing that simply loading
a firmware would cause what could be categorized as a DoS
attack, albeit a self-induced one.

pkg_add http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/packages/openbsd/uath-firmware-1.0.tgz

> I'm open to suggestions and ideas, especially if you can recommend
> a reasonably priced alternative USB wireless network adaptor which
> will work on both i386 and macppc architectures.

uath(4) is not very good.  There are no docs and little incentive to fix
bugs in a driver with such an unfriendly vendor.  ural(4) and rum(4) are
both pretty solid USB wifi devices, and Ralink are pretty friendly.

Yes, thanks :-)

--patrick

[1] $ zcat uath-firmware-1.0.tgz | pax -v
-rw-r--r--  1 root     wheel          257 Sep 16  2006 +CONTENTS
-rw-r--r--  1 root     wheel          175 Sep 16  2006 +DESC
-rw-r--r--  1 root     wheel       147664 Sep 16  2006 etc/firmware/uath-ar5523

vs. one available on TRENDnet's web-site dated 3/17/2007.