Replies interspersed.

--- John Mendenhall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Tim,
>
> On Tue, 08 May 2007, Tim Judd wrote:

I'm sorry, I switch between FreeBSD and OpenBSD so often, I don't catch
myself often enough stating the right device name.  This is the OpenBSD
mailing list and I should have thought.  I did mean OpenBSD's drive
name, which would be wd0.

'cat'ting the drive is simply reading data from the surface and sending
it to the bitbucket, so we can see if we can read the surface of the
drive without errors.

A low-level format is an interesting twist, and I would like to see if
that helps.  I've witnessed myself a drive "with bad blocks" dissapear
after a high-level format.  It was the oddest of things, the FS itself
was corrupted and a disk check didn't help the situation.  Maybe it was
a glitch, I don't know.  I put that drive back into rotation.

> > Good luck.
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome!

> JohnM
>
> --
> john mendenhall
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> surf utopia
> internet services

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.