On 5/9/07, Nick Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If it was not obvious from my comments, I love softdeps.  I have a
siteXX.tgz file which does a few simple things, one of which is to
change all mount points to use softdeps.  One really does have to
hunt a bit for relevant reasons not to use it.  About the only
place I can think of where I deliberately don't use it is on an
e-mail archive system on the filled partitions which are mounted
read-only.

I can't tell you how many times I have forgot to install my siteXX
file, started loading up /usr/src, and realized, "Dang, obviously
no softdeps".  At which point, I stop the checkout, fix the
problem, reboot, and try again.  Yes, the performance difference
is that obvious, and it is faster to reboot than it is to wait it
out.

I'm still curious about the issue of using softdep's when you have a
raid card with write-cache (and battery)... I thought I'd do a simple
test unpacking the ports.tar.gz with softdeps disabled/enabled, to
see for myself.

Without softdep enabled, I have the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] time tar xzf ports.tar.gz
0.970u 2.120s 1:00.62 5.0%      0+0k 9821+210784io 6pf+0w
[EMAIL PROTECTED] time rm -r ports
0.160u 1.390s 1:01.65 2.5%      0+0k 14994+126181io 17pf+0w

About a minute to unpack and another minute to remove.

With softdep enabled, I have the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] time tar xzf ports.tar.gz
1.270u 2.100s 0:45.62 7.3%      0+0k 9874+66318io 59pf+0w
[EMAIL PROTECTED] time rm -r ports
0.210u 1.230s 0:14.59 9.8%      0+0k 15741+22055io 17pf+0w

45 seconds to unpack and 15 seconds to remove.

(I've repeated this a few times each way, and I always have
roughly the same results.)

With softdep enabled, there was more cpu time, but a noticeable
decrease in total time.

So, fair to say that even with raid+write-cache+battery that
softdep's are beneficial (in terms of less disk time)?
I'm more interested in maintaining disk-consistency, and with
this setup, it looks like softdeps will still help with that also.

Thanks again for all the info!

-George