Bruce Bauer wrote:
This system has been running flawlessly since mid-March with GENERIC
plus the 010 patch. dmesg below
This morning I found it totally unresponsive both through network and
at the console.  Had to use the power switch to recover.

Where do I start trying to track this down?

The system is running sshd and openvpn only

DMESG:
OpenBSD 4.0 (GENERICp) #0: Fri Mar 16 19:07:33 MST 2007
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERICp
cpu0: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+ ("AuthenticAMD" 686-class, 256KB
L2 cache) 1.61 GHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,CX16
..
Is this an amd64 capable Sempron? It looks like it is, based on the rest of the dmesg.

If so...this could be the "i386 on amd64" bug, the symptoms sure seem to fit. (granted, "locked hard" covers a lot of problems... :)

If that's the case, you might want to upgrade to 4.1, which should take care of the problem.

Nick.