On May 13, 2007, at 8:44 PM, David Higgs wrote:

I've tried to configure NFS and am nearly all the way there, but it
seems like I've hit a pretty big stumbling block.  I've got OpenBSD
4.1-stable (10.0.0.1) with an NFS export of my home directory.  I also
have a Windows XP machine (10.0.0.2) and installed the SFU 3.5 NFS
client.

Are most of your clients going to be windows machines? if so, you should thing seriously about using samba. ( you should also read http://www.openbsd.org/mail.html and include all even vaguely related config files and output of things like dmesg and nfsstat )

[/etc/exports]
/home/david -mapall=david:guest -network=10.0.0.0 -mask=255.255.255.0

i notice you're using 'david:guest' here... the first question springs to mind is to verify that user david is in group guest?

I can successfully mount this share locally and perform both reads and writes.

Without any of SFU's User Name Mapping configured, I can mount the
share with uid/gid of -2/-2 as advertised.  Appropriately, I cannot
access any files or directories that are not world-readable.  However,
inside a chmod-777 directory, I cannot create files or directories
(which might be as expected).

After configuring User Name Mapping to map my Windows account to the
UNIX account, I can mount the share with the expected uid/gid.

Please provide specifics? do you mean with the david:guest uid:gid mentioned above?

Although I can read user-only files and directories, I still cannot
create any files or directories.

what user:group are the parent directory? david:guest, or something like david:david ? what permissions are they?

  Windows keeps reporting that the
drive has write-protection enabled.

What do the log files on the server say?

I know this isn't a SFU help forum, but any ideas to try or tips on
troubleshooting the NFS side is more than welcome.  Thanks in advance.

--david

P.S. On an unrelated sidenote, does mountd always bind to the same
ports by default?

man mountd
( http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi? query=mountd&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD +Current&arch=i386&format=html )
will answer this for you

If not, is there a way to fix them at certain
values, so that PF rules can be written to match?  Linux rpc.mountd(8)
supposedly has a -p option that can be used for this purpose.