[snip]

OK, now I'm clueless why this happens.  I didn't see in your verbose
dmesg at all any obvious PCI busses or devices.  Yet the normal dmesg
lists your PCI devices.  I could be reading the devices wrong, but I
read in your verbose dmesg that it found:
1: Audio
2: Realtek Ethernet (probably a PCI device??)
3: isa0 bus
4: Keyboard/mouse ports (which I really think they are attached on the
ISA bus, internally on the motherboard)
5: speaker (again, same as #4, on the ISA bus in the motherboard)
6: parallel (ditto)
7: npx0 (I think this is your coprocessor, and I don't know what bus it
is on)
8: COM/Serial ports (ditto as #4)
9: Floppy drive (I would think this is on the ISA bus, but I am not
sure)

Aside from #2, the realtek ethernet, I am not seeing any signs of PCI
detection.  But how can it boot off the drive, which is on pciide0
(from original, normal dmesg in digest #783).  That device sure looks
like it's on the PCI bus.  I'm lost on this one, I totally expected to
see anything, SOMETHING about the pci bus (wouldn't it be pci0?).

I think we are missing the top of the dmesg (notice how you don't see
the copyright notice)  This must be because all the verbosity overflow
the 4k buffer for the dmesg.

Aside from that, I'm sorry I can't help much.

John did state he has another version, and if *THIS* thing fails
horribly bad on trying to get more information, I would try the other
version.  I'm not sure if the 4.1-RELEASE (at least the sparc32 one)
was done correctly, I have a simple 64MB sparcstation5 that after I
came home from work one day, the box was at the 4th prompt (for ya i386
folks, that's similar to the BIOS/SETUP program).  A day or two later
the same box, same config, same everything was waiting on a ddb prompt
with what seemed to be a runaway application (smbd, ddb's ps command
just kept endlessly returning smbd as processes running on the box).
The only change to this box was an addon SBUS 4-port ethernet board.
Anyway, I got sidetracked in the basic statement that there may be
something wrong with the comp41.tgz set?  bad press?  bad release
process on OpenBSD?  I can't pin it down, but I didn't have *ANY*
problem with 4.0, in any of it's platforms.

The above paragraph may start flaming, and I want to defuse it right
now.  The problem I have above may not at all be related to John's
original problem, but I've also seen other people having trouble
installing 4.1 on this mailing list and wonder if it has something
related/linked that we can use.  Heck, my 4.1 i386 CD I burned locks up
my keyboard/kvm so bad that I have to push the buttons on the front to
reboot.  It gets to the "install, upgrade, shell" and then locks up.

John, please try 4.0 and then doing a source upgrade to 4.1, if this
verbose dmesg doesn't help anybody.  Sorry for bringing it up :(

Good luck.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.