> I just used dnsstuff to test one of my domain names and it showed me
> (the first time only) that my server is an openrelay, which is obviously
> not true. This is due to the default behaviour of spamd of accepting
> everything, even when a spamd.alloweddomains file is present. I think
> this could choke some automated tests as nearly none of them goes to the
> point of actually sending data.
>
> here is a well known spamd session:
> "
> telnet elrond.llorien.org 25
> Trying 88.198.156.90...
> Connected to elrond.llorien.org.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 elrond.llorien.org ESMTP ; Tue May 22 09:09:33 2007
> ehlo test
> 250 Hello, spam sender. Pleased to be wasting your time.
> mail from:<>
> 250 You are about to try to deliver spam. Your time will be spent, for
> nothing.
> rcpt to:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 250 This is hurting you more than it is hurting me.
> "
>
> I know that I can configure spamd to send a 550 error to the client, but
> only after DATA, which will clearly almost never happen in automated
> tests. So I think it could probably be a good idea to add an option
> which makes the 550 reply at RCPT TO for domains not being in
> spamd.alloweddomains. This would still allow to make spamtraps but only
> those sent at alloweddomains would waste the most time to the sender.
>
> What are your feelings bout this?

        Any automated test I've ever set up for open relay, (and I run
them) as well as any sane ones I ever see test for open relay by
actually relaying a message not looking at the smtp dialoge.

        You're making much ado over nothing and spreading FUD -
the tester you are using is just making stupid assumptions.

        -Bob