On 5/28/07, Juan Miscaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am serving up email via imap (courier-imap) on OpenBSD 4.0.

My users (with Outlook) complain of french characters being garbled.
How can I fix this?

The same way any problem is fixed: by determining which part isn't
behaving correctly and fixing it.  In this case, the possible guilty
parties include
A) the sending party: are the messages being marked with the correct charset in
   the Content-Type header field?
B) the IMAP server: is it returning the message accurately and calculating the
   ENVELOPE and BODYSTRUCTURE FETCH items correctly?
C) Outlook: is it presenting the messages accurately as it was received from the
   IMAP server?

However, this is all off-topic to OpenBSD, as the IMAP server behavior
should not dependend on the OS.  I suggest you take your question to
the comp.mail.imap newgroup after doing your best to answer the
questions suggested above.

Note that when you post there you should, at a *minimum*, clarify what
is garbled (subjects, bodies, or both) and to what extent they are
"garbled": is it just the non-ASCII characters (those with accents and
cedilla and accents), all letters but not numbers or punctuation, or
all characters?

Philip Guenther