On 5/29/07, Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hey anyone,

We've been having this issue with our router freezing up.  Completely
dead.  No panic, no error, just phooey.

Anyway, memory and disk tests did not show anything so we are going to
replace the hardware.

But in prepping for this I noticed that the original installation had X
installed.  Now I was unaware of this, and in subsequent upgrades did
not install newer X packages.

That being said, the problems started after I upgraded from 3.8 -> 3.9
-> 4.0 (In one sitting).

I don't use X on there and even have the aperture disabled in sysconf.
Is there any way this could cause my system to completely freeze?

No. Definatly not.

What is the best way to try to re-mediate from this?  A full
 clean install?

It's currently at 4.1 + patches.  (X is still at 3.8 I imagine).

Errors I could understand, but I don't see think it would lock a system
up... but I am not that good, so I am asking here, before yanking the
hardware out.

I've no idea. You don't provide enough details. Does the box still
answer pings?
does the caps -lock led still toggle ? post a dmesg ?