On 5/31/07, James Hartley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Section 4.8 of the FAQ discusses how to capture the PBR for multibooting
with dd:

# dd if=/dev/rwd0a of=openbsd.pbr bs=512 count=1

Two questions.

* For stand-alone installations, is the PBR the same thing as the MBR?

* More importantly, how can I use dd to access the MBR in a multibooted
system of Vista & OpenBSD?

Thanks for any insight.

I can only guess your end goal is to be able to multiboot Vista and
OpenBSD. That's the setup I have on my machine. It's a little tricky,
but here's basically how I did it:

1) install Vista on a primary partition first.
2) install OpenBSD on another primary partition, make sure to keep the
Vista MBR though. (in another words be careful what you're doing
during the fdisk stage of OBSD installation).

At this point you have both OS's on your machine but can only boot
into Vista. So now:
1) Use windows dd from Vista to copy the PBR from OpenBSD onto your
windows partition (This app can be found here:
http://www.chrysocome.net/downloads/dd-0.5.zip)
2) Note one tricky thing here. When you open the Vista command console
to run dd you must right click and select "Run as administrator".
3) Use the Vista bcdedit command to set OpenBSD as a boot option under
Vista. Here's the best tutorial I've seen on the topic
(http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48405).

Note that if you don't know what you're doing you can very easily lose
ALL your data with the smallest of mistakes, so be sure not to try
this on a machine that has data you care about unless you have
everything you need backup up.

Enjoy.