RW wrote:
On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 08:55:09 -0500, Jacob Yocom-Piatt wrote:

uh, pxeboot? you can put the CD contents on your pxeboot server and there's no need to hook up a CD drive. me thinks that's how you're supposed to do it for headless machines.

have had the same bad magic errors in the past when using usb cdrom drives.

Uhh, pxeboot? It MIGHT work if it was in the BIOS but it is not. The
local distributor has just got a copy of an update which he has
promised to test and to forward to me if it works.
To do the first install I pulled the card out of the 1U case, stripped
the plank off an fxp PCI card and installed from my pxe server. I'm not
doing that on a regular basis and in the field I don't have pxe servers
on tap anyway.

no pxeboot? if it's missing in a board like this it is a design fuckup, IMO. i see
*
"BIOS: *Phoenix-Award D686 4Mb PnP flash BIOS with PXE"

in the specification listing ( http://www.commell-sys.com/Product/SBC/LE-564.htm#Specification ) along with

"Integrated CompactFlash type-II interface supports CFC (Compact Flash Card) and IBM MicroDrive SSD (Solid State Disk) with flash memory capacity up to 1 GB."

if there is indeed no pxeboot, then prepare a CF card to boot bsd.rd and redirect the console over the serial port, exactly as you'd do with the pxeboot server. you could even have all the install sets comfortably fit on the CF card. if you can boot from the usb cdrom you should be able to do a usb CF reader. a CF card is cheaper and smaller than a usb cdrom.

cheers,
jake

I have installed from the USB CD since but, as I said, it depends on
typing in the console switching line blindly at the boot> prompt.

I can't expect junior admins to do that at customer sites and get it
right first time every time with a customer looking on.

Thanks,

Rod/
From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?