On 6/12/07, Josh Grosse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 06:59:46PM -0400, Nick Holland wrote:
> am I missing something, or did you neglect to help him with his question,
> which was about how to upgrade with RAIDframe in use?

I had everything except building the kernel, and placing it on the one (or
two) non-RAIDFrame controlled partitions for booting.  Yep, I forgot
that. :(

I have several low end machines with dual SATA drives and have the full
install under raidframe with the recommended a=/, b=swap, d=/usr, etc...
Both drives have separate 4gb partitions which each have a full install
serve as the boot partition.

1. Backup all data.
2. Disabe raidframe autoconfiguration.
3. Do a full install on the second drive's 4gb partition and boot on that.
4. Enable raidframe and make install a new kernel.
5. Boot the new version on the second drive.

At this point if everything works you can newfs any of the pre-upgrade
raid partitions and dump/restore from the new install on the second
drive to the raid partitions. If you made separate data partitions that don't
need upgraded you don't have to touch them. Don't forget to resync the
first boot partition with the second and turn on autoconfiguration. Oh,
remember to run installboot as part of resyncing (DOH!).

If for some reason you're new install is faulty you can just resync the
second boot partition with the first (installboot!), re-enable autoconfig,
and a reboot gets you back to square one.

-N