We still haven't enabled expat in base/, because it's not audited enough
yet... we `trust' it as an X11 library, but no-one has addressed the multiple
security issues it may have.

Yes, we do know expat is a problem... we finally removed it from ports/
because it makes no sense to build it once.

If you don't trust X11, you can install just a few pieces. expat is mostly
independant from the rest.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions there.

In the end, the sensible solution is to audit libexpat and enable the version
in source. The only issue is that no-one has had time to do that correctly
yet.