On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:28 AM, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:

In message <http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=118157353605570&w=1>
I wrote
# I have a problem with suspend-to-RAM on an IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T41p
# running OpenBSD 4.1-stable.  Basically, suspend-to-RAM works fine if
# I'm not running X, but hangs the system if I'm running X.  My basic
# question is, has anyone gotten suspend-to-RAM to work while X is
# running on a T41p, and if so, how did you do it?

I think I may have experienced the same problem as you on my ThinkPad R40 and ThinkPad X24.

When you say your system hangs, does your screen go blank except for a blinking cursor in the top-left corner? I run into this all the time when the BIOS is set to put the computer to "sleep" when the lid is closed and I'm running X (or KDE or Gnome or whatever on X)

My extensive searching the web leads me to believe it's a driver issue. I come to this conclusion because I have seen many, many reports of identical symptoms on various Linux boards where the solution has been to update nvidia or ati drivers and the problem disappears.

Unfortunately, I am not a skilled enough coder, nor do I have the time, to learn the inner workings of X and OpenBSD display drivers to properly diagnose and solve the problem. :(

My solution has been to disable the setting in the BIOS that puts the computer sleep when I close the lid.
--
Freedom, truth, love, beauty.
John Rodenbiker