modify /etc/rc (this looks questionable anyway -- looks like someone
snook the named stuff in there because it needs  aprivate log device in
the chroot):

echo 'starting system logger'
rm -f /dev/log

if [ X"${named_flags}" != X"NO" ]; then
        rm -f /var/named/dev/log
        syslogd_flags="${syslogd_flags} -a /var/named/dev/log"
fi
if [ -d /var/empty ]; then
        rm -f /var/empty/dev/log
        mkdir -p -m 0555 /var/empty/dev
        syslogd_flags="${syslogd_flags} -a /var/empty/dev/log"
fi
syslogd ${syslogd_flags}

----------
echo 'starting system logger'
if [ X"${syslogd_flags}" != X"NO" ]; then
    rm -f /var/named/dev/log
    rm -f /dev/log
    mkdir -p -m 0555 /var/empty/dev
    syslogd_flags="${syslogd_flags} -a /var/empty/dev/log"
    syslogd ${syslogd_flags}
fi

then syslogd_flags=NO in rc.conf(5).

~BAS

--
Brian A. Seklecki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If the reader of this message is not an intended
recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an
intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited.  Please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and
delete this e-mail from your system.