Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:21:35AM +0200, Raimo Niskanen may have written:

> Hi all!
>
> I have an old laptop on whith I want to use ppp
> to connect to Internet, using a PCMCIA modem
> 3Com 3CXM756 "Global GSM & Cellular Modem PC Card"
>
> First, I _think_ it shows up as /dev/cua03. In
> dmsg it pops up as device pccom3, and when trying
> with tip it appears that while the card is in
> it fails as described below, while the card is
> out it fails with "device not configured".
>
> Nevertheless. ppp, minicom and tip all try to
> send AT commands but get no responses, as
> it appears. I do not see any logs, almost.
> ppp says it does ATZ^M and waits for OK
> which does not happen. minicom and tip
> try to dial and say it fails.
>
> Have you got any tip on how to troubleshoot this
> card, or does anyone know this card is a dead end
> and can name a proper serial line, USB or PCMCIA
> modem that is known to work?

I don't know anything about that 3Com card.  If you can't get it working,
I do know that the following two (fairly old) PCMCIA modems work well for
me with OpenBSD in a couple of laptops that I use:

- "Megahertz by USRobotics" model XJ4288

- IBM 56K PC Card Modem (FRU 02K4249)

--
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
but rather when there is nothing left to take away."