On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 01:14:55AM +0200, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

> You mean
> $ cp test{,.bak}
>
> See "Brace expansion" in the ksh(1) manual page. (Note, it's not in
> sh(1)! After testing I see brace expansion is not described in the sh
> manual page, but if I invoke sh and type echo a{,b}, the result is
> still the same as in ksh).

the reason it;s not in sh(1) is that sh(1) attempts, not entirely
successfully, to describe the functionality of a posix sh. other
features are not described.

however sh(1) actually supports the same functionality as ksh(1) (it's
the same binary after all), except for a few differences.

the upshot is /bin/sh can do more than is described in sh(1). and sh(1)
is, by necessity, not one million percent accurate.

jmc