Today Jared Solomon wrote:

Is anyone successfully using OpenBSD and mplayer or vlc with mediasite
to catch streaming lectures from a university campus or similar?

I "had" to get a Vista box, and I'm at wits' end with its B$.  Any
help or pointers to upgrade my Toshiba Satellite dual core box to
OpenBSD 4.1 and maintain my ability to continue in medical school is
appreciated.

Kind regards,

jared Solomon

If it's available to you as streaming content, read the following.
I love A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor & am rarely
home to listen to it on Saturday evenings. I run a script out of
cron that streams it in & dumps it to a file so I can listen later.
Below are the basics. You just need to find out the address of the
content you want & change it out with the ones below. If you don't
want to save it for later, just take out the -dumpstream & -dumpfile
stuff. e.g., mplayer mms://radio.mponline.org/MPB_Live would just
stream it in for you to watch.

mplayer -dumpstream mms://radio.mpbonline.org/MPB_Live -dumpfile /data/mydir/garrison/mp3/show/`date +"%Y%m%d"`phc.mp3

`date +"%Y%m%d"` prepends the current date to the phc.mp3 file
for later reference.

Try 'man mplayer'. It's a good read. ;)

Here are some more good reads:

For installing:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

As for upgrading, try:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/upgrade41.html

For checking supported hardware:
http://www.openbsd.org/i386.html

- --Denny White

    _______  ____   ___
   / __/ _ \/ __/__<  /
  _\ \/ // / _//___/ /

    [ 1987 - 2007 ]

  http://sdf.lonestar.org
 Public Access Unix System
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFGfq6cy0Ty5RZE55oRAhVgAKC/n/MSFUM8tqj0lc8Ec2tqhIkwtACeNuqR
PgffOb1PmKLTAnDkS8EneBY=
=LsSH
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----